Thursday, December 2, 2010


The 2010 November Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Simona of briciole. She chose to challenge Daring Bakers’ to make pasta frolla for a crostata. She used her own experience as a source, as well as information from Pellegrino Artusi’s Science in the Kitchen and the Art of Eating Well.

This is my second Daring Bakers' challenge and I was reminded why I wanted to join this group, to learn. During the learning process mistakes must be made, especially when doing something for the first time. What I am showing here is my second attempt and even this was not perfect (but still very tasty).
The crust is a pasta frolla. I chose to make the first version and my filling of chose was chocolate raspberry.


Powdered sugar, flour, butter eggs, and lemon zest are what went in to make the shell.













After baking the the shell (and now understanding the importance of pie weights) I spread a layer of homemade raspberry jam on the bottom.










Next a chocolate mixture consisting of organic semi-sweet chocolate, light corn syrup, and butter, is poured in and let cool a bit before topping with golden raspberries.














So what did I get out of this challenge other that a really yummy tart? I now know pie weights are a must when baking a shell with out filling. It is hard to be creative with something if you don't even know what it will be like in the first place. To learn it do over until you get it right (or at least edible). Thanks to DB for pushing me to do something new!

1 comment: